Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Rosmersholm

The performance of Rosmersholm last Saturday night was very impressive. We arrived just in time to see the set of the in full light before the theatre went completely black. The set of the stage was just as involved as I imagined when reading the play. It seemed like dozens of pictures covered the walls and tons of flowers spread throughout the set. From the lighting, I also immediately noticed the window that was so often discussed. As the play proceeded, I took more and more note to both the lighting and the music. They were both arranged much more dramatic than I ever expected, but it wasn’t too dramatic. As dramatic as they were, they went hand in hand with the set and perfectly outlined whatever action was going on. The placement of the study, outside of Rosmer’s room, I never expected to be above the living room. But, the way that the lighting was executed to solely light just that one room whenever in use made its placement an excellent choice. I was also very impressed with the acting. Once again, I never expected that kind of talent from people my age. All in all it was a very impressive performance to watch. Although a little lengthy, it still received two thumbs up.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Brad said...

While reading the play in it's text form, what caused you to expect flowers on the stage when you went to see it in the theatre? Also, did you like the use of the music? was it distracting at times or was the volume level ok with you? did it add to the eeriness of the play? what do you think the reason is that the director chose to put music in the play when this play usually does not call for music?

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Michael Todd said...

I notice that you really notice things like the lighting and set design. How do you think the set design of Rosmersholm compares to other plays you have seen this year? I really find it interesting that you think the lighting and music make for a dramatic affect. Had these two factors not been there, would the play have been just as dramatic? I think that the dialogue alone wasn’t enough to add to the drama, so I agree with your assessment. And all in all, I agree with your meditation…the play was the best of the year.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Jon Greer said...

From a technical standpoint I would have to agree with you about the stage appearance, layout, and lightning and sound situations. I think the stage layout allowed itself to having an easy scene change without touching the preset boundaries. This smooth transition was also made possible with the light going from a general overhead to a special in the acting area on up-center stage. The music in this play was much less distracting that that of other plays like Talley's Folly. However, I was slightly bothered because in class we were told Ibsen used natural sounds to create his melodrama. Although these were present I did not find the music and singing aided in the increase of the mis-en-scene of the performance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home