Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Production of Rosmersholm

I went to the saturday night production in Ida Green, and got there just in time for the lights to dim. The first thing I noticed was the set of the stage. While I was reading the play, almost the entire time, I was thinking of how it would be staged. I knew that there would be a window that would be utilized and that it would just be mere reactions and second hand accounts from the actor and that we wouldn't actually see a crossing. I liked how the study was above the living room and could just be lighted up whenever a scene was to be played out there. I also really like the furniture and all the pictures on the wall. Being able to see the front door was something I didn't think about at all when trying to picture how it would be staged. While watching the play, I was trying to think of alternative ways of staging it and couldn't really think of any, so I was pretty impressed by that. This was probably the most enjoyable play that I've watched for this class. I was afraid that 2 1/2 hours was going to be rather grueling, going on the previous plays that I had attended. But it actually turned out to be not that bad at all. I think the reason that it wasn't that bad and that I actually enjoyed it was probably because I had read the play before hand and found myself catching a lot of familiar lines that I remembered. As far as what I saw and experienced, having music played in the background for parts of the play was interesting and I wondered about any significance behind it. Also, the changes in lighting both, between scenes, but also during a particular scene. The lighting would go from being spread throughout the living room to on just a certain part of the room/stage. I also noticed the light coming in through the window alot as well. Overall, a good play with a scream at the end that actually gave me chills for some reason.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger PamelaSieja said...

I too found the play more enjoyable because we had read the script in class. Partially because the script did not seem very exciting or lively when I just read it off the page. So, like you, my expectations were pretty low when I sat down to watch the production; however, I was pleasantly surprised by how entertaining the play turned out to be. Knowing the characters before I sat down gave me the ability to look more deeply into them from the very beginning of the play. It also allowed me on other details you discussed, such as set design, because I already knew what was going to happen.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I also thought that the set was very well done. The placement of Rosmer's study above and directly in the middle of the living room was the perfect spot. Neither room was set up in a way that was distracting when there was action going on in the other. It was also a very detailed realistic set. However I think the thing that was most clever was what was not done. The bridge and the river were purposfully left out of the set. Yet the actors had to paths from which to approach the front door symbolic of the path across the mill race as well as the long way around. This allowed the audience to know which path the character was taking as well as provide a place for Rebecca and Rosmer to go at the end of the play.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Brad said...

I agree that it was clever to not actually have a bridge in the play. Going into the play, I did not expect to see it, but I realized while watching it that it was fitting to not have an actual bridge. It added to the mystery, just like we never see a ghost either.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Michael Todd said...

Your meditation is very convincing. I also believe that the characters seem very realistic. Was the language the aspect that seemed so real to you? Or was it just the situation? Also, I found myself drifting while reading this play just like you. Did the play turn out to be a haunting like you liked? Also, I agree with your statement about the play dropping off at the beginning of the act and then picking back up toward the end. Do you think Ibsen intended for this climactic ride?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home