Monday, April 23, 2007

AC Rosmersholm production

I was not initially excited about watching Austin College’s production of Rosmersholm on April 19th at 7:30pm in Ida Green Theater. I had learned that the play would last about 2½ hours with a 15 minute intermission; it sounded like it would be a long evening, and if it was anything like previous spring semester productions at AC, it would likely be rather dull. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the extremely entertaining and successful production of Rosmersholm. I enjoyed it tremendously. Guest artist Webster Crocker did a fantastic job designing a realistic and functional set that was visually pleasing and gave characters ample space to interact and move around, and the lighting, done by junior Vanessa Linn, was also expertly done. In addition, I thought that actor John Glenn excelled at bringing humor to the production; he seemed to completely embody his character, Ulrik Brendel. His appearance onstage in the first act invigorated the production, and I was happy to see his return (through the window instead of the front door) in Act 2. Also, actor Christine Cunningham did a spectacular job as Rebecca West; her ability to convey emotions, gesture naturally, and interact with other characters kept the audience engaged. I heard other audience members commenting positively on her performance. I left the theatre surprised that it was past ten o’clock because the play seemed to fly by so quickly and smoothly.

3 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Flora said...

Do you think that anything hindered the play? Do you think maybe the music at times would drown the dialogue between the characters? I agree with everything you say in that the play was done in such a professional feel. However, I found there to be moments when I couldn't hear the characters because the music was too loud or some reactions were bit exaggerated. For example, when Doctor Kroll enters and projected his voice it almost sounded as if he was yelling rather than speaking.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger jon weems said...

I'm curious what aspects of the lighting you liked the most? Were there any key moments that you can think of when the lighting really excelled and made the scene easier to watch/believe. Another question I have is if the set looked anything like you had imagined when reading the script? Was it as detailed as you imagined. I know i was impressed with how well the set and the ligting tied together to better the story. Maybe this is why the play seemed to just fly by for you.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Michael Todd said...

I had the same initial reaction to viewing Rosmersholm. The time of the play was also my reason for not wanting to see the performance. And just like you, I was also pleasantly surprised with the performance. Do you think that the set design helped in making the play more realistic? And I absolutely agree with your assessment of Christine Cunningham. She was exactly how I envisioned Rebecca West. I thought that this was the best play of the year. What was your favorite?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home