Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rosmersholm

Though this play was an easy read due to the characters being fairly realistic and believable, I found myself drifting a lot while reading it. I was excited about reading it because I'm a pretty big fan of stories about hauntings and ghosts, but the ghost is only talked about in witness testimonies by the characters. We are not given any data or hard facts/ proof of the past. There isn't any props, just talk about a white horse. Then, at the end of play, the reader has to decide whether to take it literally or figuratively. It is yet another case of eye-witness testimony and does not show the action actually taking place. The play does get interesting as each act comes to close. It seems as if the acts are increase in action and then drop off as the next act begins.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I found it interesting that you referred to the characters as being “realistic and believable.” What did you see in them that made you feel that way? I remember thinking, wow this John guy is pretty naïve and Rebecca seemed like a calculating killer the first time I read through it. I also found Ulrick to be quite eccentric. I thought his character was bizarre on purpose to add a bit of comic relief. I do agree with you about the ghost story aspect. I kept hearing about this being a “ghost tale” but never realized that it would be totally abstract or subjective. It could have done with some more haunting…

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Brad said...

It wasn't what I saw in them as much as how easy it was for me to visualize these characters while reading the play. I agree, Ulrick was quite humorous, and that humor definitely showed when I ended up seeing the play.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home