Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rosmersholm

This play was supposed to be about a haunting, but to me it wasn't. When I hear that something is suppose to be about a haunting I think that a ghost will make an appearance. However in Rosmersholm, there is never an appearance of a ghost there is just hear say about people seeing a white horse, which is suppose to mean that someone is about to dye but again as I said earlier this is just hear say and there are no stage directions or anything hard core that lets the audience know that there really is a ghost. At the end the play the nurse alludes to the white horses again when it talks about Rebecca and Rosmer jumping off the bridge, while the she looks on. Before the nurse realizes it is Rebecca and Rosmer on the bridge, she mentions the white horse again leading me to believe that she has never seen the white horse before and just believes there is a white ghostly horse based on just hear say. I guess the author leaves it up to the viewer to believe whether or not there is a ghost and this is how ghost stories get started. Something unexplainable happens and we feel the need to come up with some kind of explanation, so we make it up in our mind that if we did not see something tangible that it was probably a ghost.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger PamelaSieja said...

Like you, I wondered if there would be some sort of physical ghost or noticeable ghostly quality in the play. Did you find the reference to the white horses adequate in fostering a sense of ghostliness? I did not. Even after discussing the white horses in class, I did not feel that the reference to them in the play would’ve been picked up by an audience member that had not studied Rosmersholm. I did not think about ghosts when watching the production, until the end. Did Beata have a hand in pulling them off the bridge? Did a ghost actually pull the embracing couple into the water?

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger jon weems said...

I feel that a physical presence of a ghost would majorly take away from the story. Realism, which best describes the way this story was written, is based up on real life. A ghost showing up would have taken away from this style. In my opinion the fact that the white horse is discussed adds to the eerie feel of the story and is ment to be viewed only in the audiences head. I could imagin a perfect descrtiption of a white horse at the end of the play and the fact that I was that involved with the story made that scream before the final world of the play send chills over my body.

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Michael Todd said...

Do you find that by reading a play earlier, you understand the performance better? I thought that by having read Rosmersholm a couple of days earlier, I would be able to understand the play better. However, the text was too difficult to read, and I didn’t go into the play with a good understanding of the text. Where you able to understand the text before you saw the play? How did you interpret the play? Did you and the director see eye-to-eye on yall’s interpretations?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home