Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rosmersholm

In Henrik Ibsen's Rosmerholm the plot seemed to be go in circles. This is due mostly to the fact that the play is based on hearsay. No one really understands or knows why Beata killed herself. The letter that I thought would answer some questions did nothing; it only brought on more questions. From the moment I started reading the play I was looking for the hero or the main character and I assumed at first it would be Kroll. I thought it was he because of his political ambitions and his profound intellect, he seemed like the character that could bring on problems and answer questions, however, that was not the case. Then I concluded it was Rebecca and Rosmer and their ambiguous relationship that seemed to cause lots of the craze. All the ambiguity was caused by the lack of hard facts or proof and all we get is testimony from all the characters. I guess the purpose of the vagueness was to leave to the audience’s imagination and for each individual to interpret the story the way they see fit. I guess it was a technique to incorporate a variety of audience members into the essence of the play. Whatever, the reason the play I thought generally was good even though there were some aspect that were not per se “real” like the “white horses” that seem to represent the ghosts of the past. Seemed to be very superstitious and more fairy tale like than anything.

2 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger Michael Todd said...

I really like your assessment about the play being based on hearsay. We as an audience are unable to really grasp what's going on outside of the characters we see. Do you think that the author meant for readers and viewers to read into the white horses like you did?

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger crystyle8901 said...

I think all the ambiguity was great now that I look back on it. I seem to enjoy more those ambiguous type movies that end with someone dying because of hearsay. I believe this I like those types of movies and theatrical performances because it keeps me on the edge of my seat even after the play ends because it leaves me in a state of shock and disbelief.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home