Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Rosmersholm

I attended the Friday night production of Rosmersholm. It was a different feeling going to see a play that I read just days earlier. I felt that the music that was played was suppose to represent the haunting aspect of the playwright because it had that spooky eerie sound about it. In the playwright I read, it never had an appearance of the ghost in the stage directions, so I felt that adding the music was a good way to interpret the haunting aspect. Another thing I thought was used as a visual indicator of a haunting was the blanket the character Rebecca kept using. During the end of the when it seemed like she was being inhabited by a ghost she began wearing the white ghost type shawl which could explain why in the end of the play the nurse thought she seen the white horse when it was really just the couple wrapped in the blanket. During the play I would find myself looking at the set in particular the photos on the wall. Some of the photos looked similar to the characters in the play which was interesting. I enjoyed this interpretation of the play and felt that the visuals and music where used well.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Michael Todd said...

Do you think that by reading the play earlier, you were able to understand the play's characters better? I agree with your assessment of the blanket that Rebecca kept, it's a very good possibly that it was the "white horse."

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Dan said...

That is an interesting interpretation of the white shawl that Rebecca wore. While watching the play I was thinking that it was Rebecca's way of showing that she at least thought she was doing something good for Rosmer. I took it as a sign of her perceived innocence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home