Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Rosmersholm Production

On Thursday, April 19, 2007 in Ida Green Theatre Austin College presented Rosmersholm by Henrik Ibsen. The play was by far the most superior play that I have seen on campus. The acting, the stage, lighting, music and set design was absolutely marvelous and I kept thinking to myself that it was so organized and professionally done. The plays in the past were not as realistic because the lighting and set design were not as focused on detail. What really surprised me the most about the play was that it was nothing as how I read had imagined it when I read it. I had no idea that there was comedy in the play and that it really did bring some relief in such a serious theme. Jon Glenn did a wonderful job not only in his portrayal of his character role, but also mannerisms and facial expressions. Also, when reading the play I did not realize the manipulative and composed nature of Rebecca West. Christine Cunningham did an amazing job portraying this character role. She was by far one of the most superior actress on campus, she was so poised and controlled in her actions. She acting with such elegance and grace that at times you realized that you were entranced in her performance. All the actors did such a wonderful job that I wished that I had the time to see an encore presentation.

3 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

You mentioned that Jon Glenn’s performance as Ulrik added much needed comedic relief to the production. My first inclination was to say that Ulrik was slightly over the top. Some of his behavior was too crazy and unbelievable. However, after the entire play was over and I thought about it, his exaggerated humor was needed. It made sense in the context of the entire play, but in each scene it was slightly frustrating. I almost feel like his kind of enthusiasm was needed in Mortensgard. Mortensgard could have been a very loud, overstated person but seemed more solemn.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Dan said...

I agree, the use of the realistic set added much to the play. I also did not see the humor in the play when reading the script. It was a nice addition to the production. I would like to see another production of Rosmersholm to see if the element of humor is typically portrayed or if the AC production was unique in that aspect. Looking back on the script now I can see the humor but I feel as if I have been influenced too much by the production that I saw.

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Michael Todd said...

You opened your meditation by saying that the set design was excellent. Do you think that the play would have been different had the set been set up differently? I completely agree with your assessment about Christine Cunningham, she has been the most talented actor I have seen this year. Even when the action wasn’t on her, she was still making facial gestures that kept the realism at a maximum. Are you sure about the encore? It was a great play, but two and a half hours is a long time! I really found this meditation helpful and convincing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home