Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Rosmersholm Production

I saw the production on opening night. In my experience, going to the opening night performance can be much different from going to later performances. Usually the opening night has more pacing issues, and dropped lines than does other shows. However, I feel like there were very few dropped lines and the pacing was very good. It is a long production, and if the show has slow pacing than the audience will get bored very fast. The lighting was also very interesting. I was wondering what anyone else felt the spotlight on the chair by the window was supposed to represent. I loved the various ways and methods that the actors chose to portray their characters. However, I did feel like this was a somewhat lighter production of this particular play. I loved the various ways and methods that the actors chose to portray their characters. However, I did feel like this was a somewhat lighter production of this particular play. When I read the script I felt like it was a very scary story, but the production did not have quite the same effect. This is not to say that this production was missing something, I just felt like it approached the story in a different way than I personally interpreted it.

3 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Blogger Flora said...

I completely agree with you when you say that the play was a lighter production than what you had intended. It was so much different than what I had initially perceived, but after watching it I really think it was done in a very symbolic and meaningful way. I thought the music and lighting made it more eerie, but the charisma and passion of the characters made the play seem to be less scary. For example, when Ulrik comes out and adds that bit of comedy to such seriousness. I also went to see the production on the opening night and I thought it went very smoothly, except for the fact that I could barely hear Mortensgaard.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I agree with both of you that the production of Rosmersholm was probably much lighter than other ones that have been done. The mood of the play was very intense, however I did not get any feeling of haunting like we had discussed in class before th performance. Even the end of teh play I felt that the maid simply saw the white shawl at a distance and thought that it was a horse. I think that part of the reason for the lack of erie feeling was Rebecca West. The way she talked about he white horses to the maid and teased her about them seemed to trivialize them to me.

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Michael Todd said...

I have never been to a performance on opening night. I can imagine how the actors might be nervous and miss lines, etc. Where there any other productions you saw on opening night this year? I also saw that the actors chose to portray each character in their own way. Do you think that had the actors switched roles or acted in a different tone, the play would have been different? How did you interpret the play, since you said the performance was different than how you had imagined. I thought that the play on paper was just as non-scary as the performance live, so I don’t know if I agree with your assessment that the production was lacking. This was a very convincing meditation, and I agree with most of the points you make.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home