Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Staged Reading

Recently, we were asked to do a staged reading with the play Catastrophe. We were placed in groups of four to practice for the eventual performance in class a week later. Working with a staged reading was quite an experience. It was difficult to know what props to use, if any. Would props even aid in the experience? After a couple of run-throughs, I decided that props help in staged readings simply because they help the actor to know how to act from the environment. Also during staged readings, I thought it was interesting that there were multiple ways of performing. You could perform the play while seated or while moving around. Overall, my experience with staged readings were alright. I had never done one before this, but it seemed quite easy also. I really look forward to how the other groups will interpret this play compared to how our group has.

3 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger Flora said...

I as well have never done a staged reading of a play, let alone ever acted in a play. I found it a bit difficult to stay composed because I was the central figure being talked about. I really do think the props did help tell some of the short story. Do you think we should have had more props? What do you think lacked in the play in regards to stage production? Do you think we could have added something to make it better?

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger PamelaSieja said...

I had never done a staged reading either. For me, the props were helpful, both in my group’s performance and when watching other groups. It was also interesting that the pen Rebecca used as a cigar had a much different effect than the actual cigar used by Jon. Rebecca’s use of the pen was more creative and less realistic while Jon’s use of the actual cigar made it look more like an actual production than a staged reading. That is something I still don’t really understand; at what point does a staged reading become less like a staged reading and more like an actual performance?

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger crystyle8901 said...

I felt like in some instances that props where distracting the characters especially P who was suppose to remain still and not really move, which is how I interpreted it. For example, in some of the groups it seemed like P could not resist helping A take off their jacket or raising their hands without A’s help. However do you think that some of our table reading in class would have went smoother if we had props?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home