Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Defining Theatre

The first things that comes to mind when I think of the world theatre, is a building where you go to see plays in particular. After some brief research, you discover that the world theatre just involves a place where some dramatic performance takes place. This I found interesting. I began to wonder what classifies something as a dramatic performance. When I think of the word drama, I instantly think of the word conflict. A conflict between two people speaking to one another. So a theatre is a place to go see conflict. Class notes state that theatre is a place where people can go to express themselves. That makes since. Expression is a huge part of theatre, but is it self expression or expression of another character. Yet another reason we cant put an exact definition on the word theatre.

2 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Brad said...

I find it interesting that you associate dramatic performances with always containing some form of conflict. After reading this, I tried to think of a dramatic performance that didn't have conflict and I really couldn't think of any. I guess I never put dramatic performance and conflict together, but I'll have to say, you have a point.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger crystyle8901 said...

It is intersting that you say this because in some definitions of drama it does mean conflict for example in this definition of drama I found: "a composition in prose or verse presenting in dialogue or pantomime a story involving conflict or contrast of character, esp. one intended to be acted on the stage; a play" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/drama). So I believe in a around about way you have came upon the very make up of the word drama.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home