Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Joe Turner Come and Gone

After reading the play, I found the article very helpful. The article that I chose to read was “Yoruba Gods on the American Stage”. From the title, a gathered that Yoruba Gods have to do with African Heritage and that there aren’t many appearances of them in or on the American stage. Stated in the article, the two central themes that build throughout the entire play are desire and memory. These are two things that I didn’t specifically get out of my reading of the play. I thought about it and I remembered that the characters in the play told many stories to each other and shared numerous past experiences in order to explain who they were, where they had come from, and things they had seen. When I began thinking about he desires of these characters, I thought immediately of the people finder. It seemed that he was in business, because people had the desire to stay in touch with one another. With little knowledge of African heritage, I came to gather that as independent as they wanted to be, it was as a culture. They wanted to be free from their history. They also wanted to stick together, and it was through sharing these memories that they would do this.

2 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger Brad said...

When I read this play, and got to the part about the two gods, I didn't really understand what they were fully talking about besides these two gods are probably from their old, African heritage/culture. After reading the article, did it enable you to fully understand the background of the play? Do you think that this type of information should be provided to an audience such as us Americans, who rarely have any background in African culture, before or after the play is performed? I feel that without that information, it is hard to fully grasp the meaning behind this particular part of the play.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I didn't read that article, and before reading this post, I hadn't thought of money as a theme in Joe Turner's Come and Gone, but now after thinking about it, it does make sense. Money is really the fundamental reason for slavery and subsequently the oppression of the black race in America. So even if not stated expressly in the text, money and wealth is always in the background. It was the lust for money that drove Joe Turner to abduct Loomis in the first place, and money that drove his forefathers to do the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home