Monday, May 07, 2007

Talley's Folley

The first time that I heard of Talley’s Folly, was in this class. We didn’t talk much about it beforehand so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I have only attended a handful of plays in my life and all that I have seen were performed on a stage. I was interested to see what this arena thing was all about. As we entered the arena we took our seats, soon after the performance began. The lights dimmed and a man came on stage. He began to perform his opening act, which was a little confusing at times (some of the things he said sounded like he was just talking rather than performing). As the play went on, we were introduced to the other character, a woman that he had a rather awkward relationship with, which was the basis of this 100 minute play.
As the play went on, we were taken on an emotional rolorcoaster with these two people who would for one minute be getting along and the next minute screaming. The opening act was very interesting and sticks out in my mind better than any other point in the play. It was a comical monologue that got the audience up to date with what was happening with the characters and a little bit of what was to come.
All in all I enjoyed the performance and I was very impressed with the skills of the actors. Holding character for that long and never getting a break is incredibly difficult. It was amazing to watch people my age performing at this skill level.

2 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Brad said...

I also liked the opening monologue and found it unique in that he actually addressed us, the audience, and invited us to sit in and view this play. He would say that he was waiting for everyone to sit and that people usually show up late; it really was like he was just chatting. One thing that stuck out in my mind were the props used; the boat, the ice skates, the rubbing alcohol, the lamp, etc.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Dan said...

"some of the things he said sounded like he was just talking rather than performing"

What did you mean by this? Do you think that it should have been obvious that he was performing? Would that have made the monologue better? I was under the impression that he was supposed to be talking to us in order to catch us up on the events that had taken place previous to the start of the play. Maybe I have just misunderstood you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home