Thursday, May 03, 2007

Catastrophe Staged Reading

When I first read Catastrophe, I did not truly understand the play. However, I gained a greater understanding after reading and rehearsing the play within my group, and I acquired an even more comprehensive understanding after seeing the other groups perform. What I found interesting within my own group was how deeply each character was discussed; we created a history of each character, even Luke. This made it much easier when we began to define the actions of the characters, why they said things a certain way, etc. I enjoyed watching the other groups perform because it was interesting to see the variety of ways in which the play was understood and portrayed. For instance, in the first group, I thought it was interesting how they really put forth emotions and kind of acted, instead of having someone read the stage directions. In the last group, I like the way the assistant had a sassy attitude, and I also appreciated the research they had done on the piece. Overall, it was truly a learning experience for me because I had never done a staged reading before or seen one performed.

2 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Dan said...

I agree that the staged reading exercise was a good learning experience. I also learned a lot from watching the other groups. Especially the first group. It gave the play a more complete feel to have it acted out without including the stage directions. It gave me a better idea of what was going on with the characters. It was also interesting to see the difference in interpretations between out group with the modern day analogy and the more direct approaches of other groups.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Brad said...

I also did not truly grasp the entire meaning of the play when I first read it. But when my group began discussing it, the meaning really started to surface, especially after a little bit of research. I also really enjoyed watching the other groups and seeing how they interpretted the play. I really enjoyed your group, because I felt that your interpretation of the play was very unique. The whole seeing the protagonist as a business man in the business world and how he goes through a progression of being excited to get out into the working world to seeing the effects of so much work and a 9-5 job. very interesting, I would never have seen it that way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home