Monday, February 26, 2007

Response to The Vagina Monologues (Crystal Kilburn)

Subject: Response to The Vagina Monologues

When I was in the play I felt overall humored because I could relate with the monologues about vaginas and the many questions because I have one myself. One of the monologues that stood of to me the most was The Flood. I found that I sympathized with her part, because I believe it is an injustice to women to have an event that personal happen to them and a man comes says thing discourage and shun a natural occurring event, making her feel as if she is not normal. I thought that Jackie delivered this part well, because in class she seems like a very shy and modest type like I felt the original lady must have been. It was kind of hard to imagine that the people on stage where actors because I see them around campus frequently. However, what I did get a joy out of was seeing people like Jackie who normally seem quiet, participating because I felt like they showed me another side of them everybody will not always get to see. When words were said that I considered vulgar, I would catch myself turning around to see who was in the audience, and whether or not they were laughing when I was. The other monologue that stood out to me was The Man Who Liked to Look at It. This one made me feel more confident about myself because it is good to know that some men admire things like that. I went away from this play feeling like I am not alone when I think about my parts of my body.

Written by Crystal Kilburn - February 20, 2007
Posted by Kirk Andrew Everist

3 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Flora said...

How do you think you would have reacted to the play had they not been people you recognized? I found the "Flood" monologue a little disturbing and unnecessary. Embarrassing moments happen to everyone and I think they could have focused on other more important issues, like issues where vagina mutilation is apart of a cultural practice. Something that spread awareness rather than a natural occurring moment in a female's life. I think the monologues would have been more effective if they removed some things and added others. It would have strenghtened the presentation.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I found it interesting that you mentioned laughter in your reflection. this was something that I was not sure of during the performance. It was hard to determine in a mostly female audience when I, as a male, was supposed to or allowed to laugh. There were times in which I found a comment humorous but forced myself to to laugh for fear of being insensitive. Then there were other times in which I found comments to be offensive and other people were laughing. I guess it is such a taboo topic that it's hard to understand the rules of what is socially acceptable.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger PamelaSieja said...

While you enjoyed watching other women from Austin College in the production, I think I would have enjoyed the performance more if I had not known the women onstage. It was hard for me to take some members of the cast seriously, and because of this, I did not find their characters believable. This created a disjointed presentation of the monologues that would have been avoided if I had seen a professional production of the play.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home