Monday, February 26, 2007

Response to The Vagina Monologues (Rebecca Stephens)

Subject: Response to The Vagina Monologues

I arrived at the Vagina monologues a little early. In my previous experiences with theater, if you did not get there early you did not get a good seat. Or sometimes you did not even get a seat at all. It was probably a little after 6:45 when I arrived. As I walked into Ida Green, I noticed one of the performers arriving at the same time. This through me off, because in previous theater going/performing experiences the performers had been back stage for a substantial amount of time before the house opened. My friend told me it was okay to go inside. I went in, realized that no one had sold me a ticket yet, and asked the people on stage who to buy a ticket from. I went back outside, and found the ticket booth. The person taking tickets informed me that the house was not open yet, and then he was informed by his friend that people had already gone inside. From the point when I walked into the theater, until the time when the show actually began, the performers were walking around on the stage and around the room. The performers were also talking amongst themselves almost until the show started. This theater experience was rather shocking to me, because of the level of casualness, prior to the show. At first I was turned off by this, but once the show began I realized that the nature of this particular show lent itself to a casual atmosphere.

I guess my real question is whether or not other people felt the same way at the beginning of their experience that night. If they did, did it make any impact positive or negative impact?

Written by Rebecca Stephens - February 20, 2007
Posted by Kirk Andrew Everist

1 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Blogger PamelaSieja said...

I noticed the extreme casualness before the show as well. Specifically, the way they all chatted onstage before the production took away from their believability when they became their characters. They also weren’t really convincing when describing the “cool art”, yet they were extremely pushy following the show. In addition, I too did not see the ticket booth, and I thought it was in a strange spot-- in the center of the hall rather than in front of a door. I am glad I was not the only one lost!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home