Tuesday, February 20, 2007

On The Vagina Monologues (Crystal Kilburn)

Subject: Initial Response to The Vagina Monologues

When I was in the play I felt overall humored because I could relate with the monologues about vaginas and the many questions because I have one myself. One of the monologues that stood of to me the most was "The Flood". I found that I sympathized with her part, because I believe it is an injustice to women to have an event that personal happen to them and a man comes says thing discourage and shun a natural occurring event, making her feel as if she is not normal. I thought that Jackie delivered this part well, because in class she seems like a very shy and modest type like I felt the original lady must have been. It was kind of hard to imagine that the people on stage where actors because I see them around campus frequently. However, what I did get a joy out of was seeing people like Jackie who normally seem quiet, participating because I felt like they showed me another side of them everybody will not always get to see. When words were said that I considered vulgar, I would catch myself turning around to see who was in the audience, and whether or not they were laughing when I was. The other monologue that stood out to me was "The Man Who Liked to Look at It". This one made me feel more confident about myself because it is good to know that some men admire things like that. I went away from this play feeling like I am not alone when I think about my parts of my body.

Written by Crystal Kilburn February 20, 2007
Posted by Kirk Andrew Everist

2 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Brad said...

It was really interesting reading what your thoughts of the play were. After seeing the play, I wondered how a male audience member and a female audience member felt after walking out. You said that you liked it because you could relate to it since you had, well, a vagina. The two monologues that stuck out to you did stick out to because you knew where the woman was coming from and you could put yourself in their shoes. What I was wondering is what do you think a male should take from this play? Do you feel it is important that men go and see this play?
I feel like it is hard in this round of posts on the Vagina Monolgues for someone to "add to the conversation" or continue a conversation that was started on the opposite sex's post since I feel like even you and I had very differing experiences of the play.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

I can see how that would make a women feel better about herself, looking at this play from the different perspective of a guy. In fact the play is in many a ways a celebration of female sexuality as something innate to a women’s identity that they should be proud of. We can see this clearly demonstrated in the monologue about the short skirt in which Heather stands up for herself by saying that her cloths are not an invitation to be raped, but a means to feel the soft breeze around the vaginal area. She shows strong pride in her sexuality in that she will wear this short skirt now matter what guys think about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home