Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Vagina Monologues

Subject: Hmmm…I had a very interesting response to the Vagina Monologues. The ladies did a wonderful job of portraying the character roles and communicating their individual messages across. Each of the stories allowed the audience to relive past memories of ones own life or empathize with the feelings of the people on stage.

One that really stuck to my mind was the monologue on “Angry Vagina” that was not only comedic, but also brought across some issues that come across all women’s minds when they walk into their gynecologist office or upset about feminine products that are not seemingly comfortable at times. This particular scene I noticed the colors of the back drop changes colors from green to red as three of the girls took turns finishing and completing one another’s thoughts. Because of the context of the part, the girls seemed more passionate and charismatic than the other monologues because anger was the emotion that they were portraying. The scene seemed to come more alive and animated because it differentiated from the more serious and sober monologues.

The audience members that were seated around me were more engaged than I in the show, partly to do with the fact that I found it a little disturbing to watch and listen to because of the vivid imagery. Especially, when the monologues began with the hair anecdote that described a woman’s dilemma between shaving herself to please her cheating husband or being comfortable with her body an accepting herself as is. Everything was said very liberal and I could see it as being liberating in some of the stories like “My Short Skirt” or “Angry Vagina”, but the others were very sexual and made me wonder whether everyone in the audience have even been in a similar circumstance as the one being described.

The ending was very moving and drew attention to the inequalities and brutalities done to women all over the world, with special focus on the year 2007. It called for action and for everyone to rise and not take these unfortunate events and sweep them under the carpet, but to motivate the masses so there comes a positive change to the lives of many women who know nothing of liberty. All in all the monologues were educating and inspiring in that they were able to educate both sexes about the hardships of women all over the world as well as a glimpse of understanding of what is like to be a woman.

2 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger PamelaSieja said...

You were very perceptive in noticing the lighting changes during the “Angry Vagina” monologue. Honestly, I didn’t notice the change in lighting at all when I saw the performance. I was so focused on the actors and the content that I didn’t pay attention to the more technical aspects. Also, I agree that the “Angry Vagina” monologue was more passionate and lively than many of the others. This makes me wonder if the contrast between the monologues were intentional—are they always arranged in the same order for performance?

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger jon weems said...

I am curious how you think gender played a role in the perspective of the audience members. You stated that "the stories allowed the audience to relieve past memories...", and I was curious how you think that this show, solely based on stories of women, effected the experience for men. I was also wondering how different colors of lighting would have made the "Angry Vagina" monologue different for you. I also noticed the colors and shared similar thoughts to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home