Tuesday, February 13, 2007

What does one expect ...? (Michael Todd)

Subject: What does one expect to get out of theatre?


Theatre is a way for people to escape reality and forget about their problems, worries, etc. When a person attends any type of theatre…live play, movie, sporting event, speech, and so on, they are trying to get away from reality, and experience something that sometimes could never happen to them. For others, theatre is a way of learning about other lifestyles and cultures. For example, experiencing a foreign play can help people to understand other country’s cultures. Also attending movies, especially ones based on true stories, can help with this understanding. In my own personal experience, when I go to the theater to watch a play or movie, I am going for different reasons. Usually if I’m watching a play, I’m not trying to escape from reality, I am just trying to connect with the characters, and gain a different understanding life. However, if I am going to the movies, I am solely going for entertainment. Dramas, comedies, and even horror flicks all entertain me…I hardly ever connect with the characters. In general, theatre isn’t only an escape, but it can also be a form of entertainment.

Written by Michael Todd - February 13, 2007
Posted by Kirk Andrew Everist

3 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger Flora said...

Do you find it hard to connect to the characters because you haven’t found one that is similar to that of yours? Do you think that time spent watching a movie, a show, a speech or whatever form of entertainment you prefer keeps you distracted enough to forget your life at the moment? Do you ever get engulfed in the show that right after you think…”Oh it was just a movie”?

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger PamelaSieja said...

I find it interesting that you try to find a connection with characters in a play, but you are unable to connect with characters in a film. Is it because plays, unlike films, are performed live? Are you able even able to connect with characters in a play, or do you just try to? I found that segment of your post particularly unique because I have the opposite experience; I get much more caught up in films than I do in plays. I’m the girl that cried when Jack died in Titanic and Mel Gibson died in Braveheart because I felt a connection to the character onscreen.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Mike said...

What makes you want to connect with play performers that doesn't make you want to connect with movie characters? Is it simply that the performers are live and physically in front of you? My experience with the two is that they are somewhat similar in terms of content and entertainment but differ in intimacy. Perhaps this is what you're talking about. I know when I see a play, it's different because the entire process is somewhat more difficult than just going to the movies (there are less plays, less showings of the plays that are around, limited places to stage plays). Anyways, interesting personal experience with the two mediums.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home