Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Vagina Monologues

I had heard of the Vagina Monologues before I walked into Ida Green Thursday night. I had no idea exactly what it was about or how it would be played out. What I did know is that women loved it and I expected that the reason for this was because they could relate to, what I thought this play would be, a comedic view of life as a woman from a woman’s view. In class we discussed the importance of having an expectation before going into the play in order to avoid feeling like you wasted your time. But honestly, I really had no idea what to expect. I had seen a Family Guy skit making fun of the play where it was a pair of legs and the vagina was a mouth. They portrayed it as if it was a stand-up comedy routine. Therefore, with that in mind, I was somewhat surprised to walk in and see two rows of chairs with about twenty women seated in them. Throughout the play, each woman would walk up and read a monologue about an experience or a thought. Some were funny and others serious. There was one monologue where everyone started yelling cunt over and over. Another monologue that stuck out was an angry telling of gynecologist visits. Most of these monologues probably had a different meaning for the audience depending on whether you were male or female. There were some subjects that just don’t mean the same if you don’t know what it is like to be a woman; and I’m not just talking about physically. Men and women emotionally behave differently and it would be hard for me to fully wrap my mind around some of the topics discussed because I honestly have no idea, and I don’t mean to sound weird, what it is like to live in this world as a woman. But overall, I got an interesting and most of the time comical look at women and their view of being a woman in this world.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger PamelaSieja said...

I honestly wondered what a male's perspective would be on the Vagina Monologues. You seem to have gone into it with an open mind, yet realized that you could not fully relate to it because you aren't a woman. There were things about the Vagina Monologues that only a woman could relate to-- for example, going to the gynecologist. What I wonder is if the Vagina Monologues should or could be more relatable to men? If it was presented in a less confrontational way, would men get more out of it? Or, is a confrontation the only way to engage the audience?

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

I would agree that being guys, we couldn’t see the play through the same perspective as women. It was hard for me to relate to it especially the numerous instances of humor regarding female sexuality throughout the play. Though difficult to relate to, I could understand the purpose of the play. Its use of poetic monologues acted sent the message that sexuality is innate part of the female identity and something that they should be proud of. This seems a reasonable message to send to women given the inherent issue that the play addresses, violence against women. By celebrated the women’s sexuality, it acts to counteract the idea that being a female is something to be ashamed of.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Brad said...

I don't think you can change how confrontational the play is, because that is the foundation of the play itself. I think that confrontation is way that this play does engage the audience.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Brad said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Jon Greer said...

I agree that the play is supposed to be confrontational but disagree with your blanket statement that women loved the play. Although the content catered to women and their personal experiences behind close doors, some women left the theater believing that is where the content should be kept, in privacy. I believe that Ensler could have still be effective about educating her audience with comedy without having an in your face uncomfortable approach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home