Monday, February 26, 2007

Hoo Haa Monologues (Jon Greer)

Subject: Response to The Vagina Monologues

I wish that I knew what I was walking into before hand because maybe I would have had a couple bloody Mary’s first, no pun intended. I understand the point that the group of women performers was trying to convey but coming from a conservative Baptist background I believe that the meaning could have been less in your face. Yes, it is important for men and women alike to understand the female sense of self and anatomy but I felt the crass methods desensitized me to the delicate beauty of a female. Sketches like this are wonderful grounds for controversy in a world striving to be politically correct. In related news, last week there was a woman with here niece driving by a club that was doing a performance of the Vagina Monologues. The niece asked what a vagina was and the aunt felt that she should not have to answer these questions because of a marquee. She later complained to the club owner to have it removed. Instead the owner renamed them the “Hoo-Haa Monologues”. Honestly, should we be so concerned with the public display of anatomical parts? Is it better to learn about woman through the use of a term probably coined by fifth graders?

Written by Jon Greer - February 20, 2007
Posted by Kirk Andrew Everist

3 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger Flora said...

I couldn't agree with you any more. I really thought that the issues were important, but could have been less in your face. "Reclaiming Cunt" and "Flood" I thought was a couple that could have been left out or replaced with something more empowering for women. As a female I was disturbed by some of the monologues and I could only imagine as you a male felt. I think the cause was appropriate and understandable, but some of the monologues did nothing to empower women, but were put in for humor. What do you think would have made this more enjoyable?

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Brad said...

It seems like you contradict yourself here. You say that you didn't like how controversial the play was but you then say that you dont see why the manager changed the name of the play to Hoo Ha instead of Vagina. It seems like, going on your first view of the play, that you would be in support of a name change to a less in your face name like "vagina".
Also, I feel like the play being somewhat in your face and controversial is what has added to its success. I feel like it aims to talk about things that are otherwise not talked about publicly. I feel like if the play was entirely about empowering women and went about in a non humorous and non in your face way, that it would be very boring and wouldn't set itself apart from a documentary on the Lifetime channel.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger jon weems said...

As controversial as the play was, that was obviously the point. Everybody has thier own thoughts on how they should get their own point across or if they should even bother. I don'd think that the reason for the show was to gross anyone out or to put anyone in an unconfortable position, but everyone does have the right to do so. It seems to me that everytime you hear about the Freedom of Speech, someone is pissed of and complaining about what something somebody has said or done. People just like you and ol' Eve Ensler are just what make this country so damn great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home