Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Trilogy of Medieval Women

Trilogy of Medieval Women is a play performed and written in Spanish and tells the story of one actress playing the role of a Catholic, Muslim and Jewish woman. I really had no idea what was going on throughout the show than the performance on stage. I was forced to watch the production and not see through it because I had no clue as to what to expect next.
With each new character role the actress introduced the holy text of that religious character. Right after her representative death scene, Antonia Bueno opens with a passionate and emotional monologue in which she portrays a pregnant Catholic woman. During her monolgue there was as loud noise and yelling from behind the audience. I assumed it was a rude and obnoxious audience member only soon to realize that it actually was the supporting actor. I had no idea what was going on since I have no Spanish foreign language competency and she was just running around and making obnoxious noises. At one point she was standing right next to me and making noise in which I assume she wanted the audience to be involved. This was something that I have not experienced before in a play and honestly I did not find it very entertaining as much as I found it annoying. After the disruption Bueno introduced the Bible and goes off on a monologue that I don’t understand and then goes into labor in which a servant of hers delivers the “baby”, which was only but cloth.
When the scene ends the lights get dark for Bueno to change her character role, where she soon becomes a Muslim woman that is hinted by her mentioning of the Koran and the calling of worship. Here I was really confused as to what was going on, one of the servant girls, or at least that’s what I think she was because of her modest clothing was pregnant. Bueno was dressed in ritzy, bohemian like clothing, and seemed to be like a mother figure for the pregnant girl. They talk about and then Bueno starts dancing with blue sheet that she used as a prop. I have no idea what the sheet was for and what she was going on in this scene.
Her last character role was her portrayal of a Jewish woman in which she wore a trench coat and hat and carried a piece of luggage. She was wandering along the stage and stepped off the stage to wander some more and then gets back on stage where she sits on a stool next to a table. Here she was introduced with another female character that brought over a menorah. This scene I seemed to grasp the historical displacement of Jews and their quest to find a home. With this scene the play ends and honestly I was so relieved. Because it was in a foreign language and there were so many monologues I could not understand what was going on. Also, even when there was dialogue I had problems understanding because their mannerisms were not helping translate the scenes. I did not enjoy the play at all, partly because I had no idea what was going on. However, I did know that there was some profound meaning behind the play and that it had a respectable message, but it was not getting across to me at all.

1 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I agree with the point you made that there was some kind of significant message in the play. I do not think that I probably got the exact message either, but I tried to get some kind of lesson out of the experience. I was wondering if you were able to attach any meaning to the performance, without understanding the action. I personally, tried to focus more on the production aspect than the plot or story itself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home