Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Trilogy of Midevil Women

I attended the performance Friday evening in Ida Green theatre. Obviously it's quite difficult to review the play in any real way seeing as though it was in a language that I am in no way fluent in. Most of the time we are able to judge the believability of a performance by how well the performer portrays the character. As a layperson, the only real way I can asses this performance is by judging whether or not the actions, inflection, tone, and body language of the performers are in sync with what there character is saying. In other words, I thought that the two actresses were phenomenal in their portrayal and both had wonderful stage presence, especially Antonia Bueno. However, I can never really be sure that the things they did and that I’m praising them for, were the right things to do in terms of the character. Maybe if I would have known what they were saying, I would have realized that in some instances it would have been better of scaled down a little bit but I can never really be sure. On that basis I can only judge the performance on technique alone. As I said before, both women had strong stage presence and wonderful chemistry. They were completely believable as characters in the way the attached themselves to the roles. They did a good job of commanding my attention despite the language barrier. At times I even laughed a bit, not because I thought what they said was funny, but because they had a delivery that compelled me to laugh. Those who could understand also provided the cues. Overall it appeared to me that they did a good job but I really can never give a truthful opinion unless I know that how they acted matched what I would expect.

1 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger PamelaSieja said...

I also laughed at one or two parts, even though I did not understand what was going on; it’s interesting how humor can transcend language barriers. Also, I like the way that the two women performed in the piece, but I had trouble determining what I like about it; you make a good point with your assessment of their body language and the way they seemed to be in sync with each other. I could tell that the women were passionate about the performance, and it also seemed well-rehearsed; they seemed confident in what they were doing. However, it would have been difficult to tell if they made small mistakes since the Spanish was incomprehensible since I am not fluent. Did anyone notice mistakes?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home