Monday, April 02, 2007

Trilogy of Midevil Women

I attended the 7:00 pm production of The Trilogy of Medieval Women in the Ida Green Theatre on the Austin College campus. The playwright was written by Antonia Bueno. I came into the play a little annoyed because it was raining outside and I had no umbrella so I had to sit in the theatre cold and wet. As far as the play it was very hard to understand because I did not get to sit in the section where you could listen to the English translation of the play so I was stuck trying to pick out the few words Spanish words I remember and try to draw out a plot and translation from context clues of the words I knew. However, I don’t believe I understood it all. So I will try to make and educated guess on what the plot was from context clues and body language of the two actresses, Antonia Bueno and Clelia Moreno. I think the play was about 6 women and the struggles they went through in 3 different situations. I did hear them keep saying something about Santa Reyna something. It is really frustrating not understanding the language. However, this is basically how most operas are that I have attended you don’t know the language but there are playbills that describe what is going on and you can also pretty much pick up on what is happening because of the exaggeration in facial expressions and body language involved in a opera, which is a type of melodrama. Overall I did not enjoy the play because of the language barrier.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home