Tuesday, May 08, 2007

What I've Learned from Theatre

Subject:Besides the technical language that is associated with this art form I have learned to see theatre in a new light. The depth and intricacies of theatre and how people manipulate it to portray a certain image or complicate it for a viewers own interpretation. Reading Joe Turner's Come and Gone, I learned that identity and collectivity are some of the themes for plays with such sensitive social aspects. Also, the intricacies of stage direction and how a director can take multiple perspectives in a play and decipher and disconnect all these view within one another. In Fires in the Mirror I learned the power of an an actor and how she can use her talent to convey such profound and insightful monologues in the times of social unrest. From RENT I learned that life portrayed in the way of song can have a profound meaning because the melody is meant make the meaning more powerful. After watching Looking for Richard I discovered the importance of authenticity and realism in the process of interpreting text, as well as the diversity in the nature of theatre. All the plays we studied this semester have placed entertainment in a new light, no longer will I just watch a show or a movie absent minded, but I will think about the work and interpretation that put in to create the mise-en-scene that I am watching.

1 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I think it's funny how you said that you will watch theatre, movies, and other forms of entertainment in a much different light now because I don't think we can help but do that now. Do you think there are any pieces of (visual) art that are intended to simply entertain? In other words, are all plays and movies made expressly to invoke some sort of deep thought or interpretation, or are some meant simply to be looked at and enjoyed?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home