Thursday, March 15, 2007

Trouble In Mind

I liked this play because of the technique of having a play with in a play to address social issues. To me it reminds me of reading history books and then me writing about myself reading the books, which in turn helps me to relate to the style of writing because it makes it easy to imagine myself in the play. The character Wiletta is a very intense character because she has to play a part that she does not agree with, which is a skill only the greatest actors in my opinion possess. It is kind of hard to read a play about racism where you can't tell whether or not the director Bill O'Wray is racist himself, which I think makes this play even more intense. Bill however, is just a character in the play so I guess I have to find comfort in knowing that the author of Trouble In Mind wrote this to get a reaction out of the reader.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger Flora said...

How do you think the play with in a play technique is effective in addressing social issues? Why do you think this technique is better than to have a story line where these issues are revealed through character interaction? Besides race what other social issues do you think are present in this play? The interaction between Manners and Willetta really reveals some of these social issues. Manners statements reveal the issues of race. As well as issues of gender in which Willetta addresses at the beginning, along side her placement in the societal hierarchy that they live within.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Mike said...

It seems to me that Willetta refuses to play the character that she does not believe in. Throughout the play she is very stubborn and slow to accept her character. In the end, she pretty much rejects the character all together. Up to that point she is being an actor not in the staged play, but in her interaction with Manners. Which role do you think she rejects the most: her role as a mother who willingly gives up her son to a mob, or a black actress who struggles to put forward the right face for the predominately white theatre scene?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home