Thursday, March 08, 2007

Talley's Folly

I saw Talley’s Foley on Friday night in the Arena Theater. The first thing that I noticed about the performance was the difference between the techniques used by the two actors. The actor who played Matt seemed to use a outside-in approach to make his character come to life. His costume was very basic, but it still seemed to help him take on the body language of his character. His facial hair and his accent also added to his performance by allowing him to feel more like the character and less like himself. The actress who played Sally took a different approach to her performance. Her dress was not as constricting compared to Matt’s suit, and she did not seem to have an obvious accent. Her method of using an inside-out approach was apparent by the way her body language was more understated and she relied more on her voice. In my opinion Matt’s performance was more interesting because his character acting took more energy than the internalized acting style of Sally. However, as a duet, the two styles seemed to mesh well and created a very cohesive and entertaining performance.

2 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Flora said...

What do you mean by the inside-out/outside-in approach? I very much agree with you with Matt’s performance being more interesting. I think his humor and his connection with the audience right at the beginning drew us into his character role. I thought the duet was pretty good, but their interactions at time were very awkward and made me feel uncomfortable. What did you liked the most from the duet?

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I really didn't like the dynamic of the two characters myself. It seemed to me that two characters that were in love would act much different toward each other, even under these circumstances. I can see, based on said circumstances, that Sally might be a bit reluctant to reveal her true feelings, but to so adamantly reject Matt's advances is a bit unbelievable. What I mean is that her character had a scowl on the whole performance. I just don't think that's the way the character of Sally would act in this situation and unfortunately I think that Averie may be to blame.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home