Thursday, March 08, 2007

Talley's Folley

I went on thursday night to see Talley's Folley. I found the introduction to be pretty interesting when he was talking directly to the audience. His accent caught my attention first. I think its impressive for someone to be able to fake an accent, especially one that different, for almost two hours straight and for the most part maintain it consitently. Referring to our class notes, the male actor had an outside-in approach where he created a character through transforming his outside appearance. He was character acting. His hair was obviously dyed brown and it was also apparant that he had a fake beard as well. As I was watching the play, I began to notice how many more lines he had than the other actress. I also thought that it must have been rather difficult to go for 97 minutes straight without any stage break of any kind. Since the actress didn't have as many lines, she had to construct non verbal ways of communicating/acting to express how her character was reacting to whatever the other actor was talking about. The play was giving Sally alot to do by giving her not alot to say. I also noticed there was an abundance of props on the stage. It was littered with random stuff to make it seem like an old boathouse that was maybe even being used as storage. I felt myself sometimes examening all the items and straying from what was being said. The music, that was suppost to be coming from across the river, was distracting at times because it would randomly come on in strange points during the play. I felt like they were trying very hard to get the effect of it being just background music from the other side of the river and thus made it distracting at times.
Overall, the play was pretty enjoyable and the attempt at the Lithuanian accent added to the humor of the O.K. jokes.
This play was by Lanford Wilson.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger jon weems said...

You make a comment on the outside in approach. How do you feel this effected the character that was presented to us. Was it necessary? I am also curious to see how these "non verbal ways of communicating" came accross to you? Were they believable or did they seem distracting. At times, I felt that they were a little too exagertated and took my eyes away from the expressions of the other character. I also share the same thoughts on the music in the play. Do you think that any music could be executed properly or do you feel that it will forever take away from the show?

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Brad said...

yes, I do feel like this outside in approach was necessary to constructing the character. It was just the method used by the actor in order to construct it. I feel like the music could have been executed a little bit better, but it's hard to tell without hearing an improved version of the play as to whether it would be distracting or not. An example of well executed music was in the play Rosmersholm. I didn't find that music distracting at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home