Thursday, February 09, 2006

Theatre

Subject: What is Theatre?
Looking back on our discussion Tuesday it seems that most of my peers hold the view that theatre is all about playing pretend. This seems to conflict with my own perception of the art. I was insanely shy as a child and I can still be reserved in certain circumstances now. Since my middle school years theatre has always served me well as an outlet for self-expression. My classmates feel the thrill of acting somehow lies in posing as a completely different person. Yet, my experience suggests that it is one of those rare activities that allows my soul to sing. Stripped of personal restraints and the mask of daily life, I feel like my true self on stage. I am forced to project those natural resources that surge from my innermost part. Theatre is the expression and exposition of truth.
Many differences exist between theatre and theatrics. Perhaps the greatest difference between them is the intention behind each. Theatre is meant to entertain and educate, while theatrics have what my boyfriend referred to as the “flash and bang” effect. I giggled about the wording, but in fact it is really quite accurate. John Kerry’s response to the “wishy-washy” question in the town hall debate is the perfect example. He began in ridiculously polite manner by not even addressing the question. The purpose of this response was not to educate us, but to distract us from his inconsistencies. The theatrical is employed to conceal. Throughout history theatre has often had the opposite effect. The Crucible was written to expose the lies of McCarthyism not to provide a haven for them. The nature of theatre is to force humans to recognize the flaws and contradictions that exist in our society. It is an intensely critical art form that the masses can comprehend. However, they often don’t realize this when they get caught up in the idea of it all being pretend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home