Saturday, November 26, 2005

"No Day But Today"

Subject: "No Day But Today"

I have to say that the motion picture Rent was not exactly what I had expected. It began with a very moving rendition of "Seasons of Love" by the eight main characters on a stage. This was a nice touch, it was different but it means a lot at the end of the movie since the song has become the 'main' song for the movie. Along with this, there were a few other things that I didn't expect. The fact that many of the songs were moved around and sang out of order, the fact that some of the movie was just spoken rather than sang along with the fact that there were added scenes that were not originally in Larson's play.
Though there were these differences, I still loved the movie. I went into the theatre not too sure of what I was about to see. I wasn't sure if I was going to see something like The Phantom of the Opera or not. I was very impressed. The entire movie was not set to music, though most of it was, it was not completely done this way. As I have already said, the opening scene, which was filmed on a stage, was a very touching, moving scene. I think that feeling has a lot to do with not only the theme of love and acceptance but also the fact that this movie was made somewhat, as a tribute to Jonathan Larson. I feel that the visuals of New York and the ability to switch between scenes added a particular characteristic to the movie that is unavailable to the theatrical performance. I know that the ability to explain thoughts with clips helped me understand the movie. Particularly in the scene where Roger is on the rooftop singing alone. During this scene the fact that he has AIDS and how he got it is explained, not with words but with clips of how he and his junkie girlfriend found out. This was very effective and it made me as an audience member feel sympathy for Roger, because now I can see him in his agony not just hear about it.
I can also say that New York helped the movie. This gave a backdrop for it and it made it more visual. I was amazed by the fact that all of this was occurring on the streets in a city that we all have heard about. Along with the fact that the lines in this movie were written before September 11th and many of them have effects on the way that we see things as Americans. The big section that New York helps make is the scene after the concert where the crew sings and dances on the tables. Also, the New Years scene wouldn't have been complete without New York City. I think that the visuals made the movie, not that the script and the play aren't good; New York just helps them all to be better.
I think the one thing that I didn't like about the film has to be that it was an adaptation. It was not completely Larson's work. Though I think some of the things that Chris Columbus did with the movie helped it along and made me happy, I do feel like this was Larson’s work. The second part or the second act of the play was very different from that of the play. There were at least three scenes added that were not in the original, the office scene, the engagement scene, and the funeral scene. Though I liked the engagement scene, because it made such a statement in today's volatile political climate, the film should have been made without it. I think one of the most touching scenes of the entire movie had to have been the funeral of Angel. These was the epitome of the meaning of the film and the play--love and respect everyone--the meaning was seen very well when everyone stands while Collins sings Cover Me and they begin to sing Seasons of Love.
Overall, I really enjoyed the movie. I don't think that I have been touched by a movie quite like I was by this one. I know that sniffles could be heard throughout the theatre that I watched it in by the end. I also know that most everyone around me was in tears for the last image -the picture of Angel smiling- this was a very appropriate ending for the movie along with the music of all the characters singing No Day But Today.
--Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home