Tuesday, October 11, 2005

"Shrek," Sex, Kids, and Theatre

Subject: "Shrek," Sex, Kids, and Theatre


After watching this production of Into The Woods, the only thing that I could think of was Shrek. I know that it may sound crazy, but all of these characters from different stories that are interacting and all of the conversations that they have with each other it just reminds me so much of that movie.
Moving on, now that I have made that observation, what is it about this production that makes it tick? I think that it could be the sex. I know that everyone may say that I am crazy but isn’t that what makes theatre go round? Sex is an undertone in almost all children’s books, movies, and fairy tales. In fact, I have an example.



This is the original cover for the Walt Disney production of The Little Mermaid. What do you see in this picture? There are a number of inappropriate things that you can get out of this photograph if you are so inclined to do so. This is why when it was reproduced, the cover was changed. This is just one of those things that an audience member can see that blatantly shows the sexuality of a child’s entertainment.
Now, to speak about Into The Woods. The sexuality in it was very apparent but in one character in particular, the wolf. I know that if you look at the costume of the wolf you can see that it is molded in such a way that he has a defined physique complete with a cod piece. His interactions with Red make this sexuality even more apparent and inappropriate. Not only is he an animal but he is a male and it gives me the feeling that he would like nothing more than to sleep with Red the way that he dances with her and talks to her, and that is just strange. However, this opens another can of worms, How sexual is too sexual and is this in every story that we read, watch, perform, and enjoy? The answer to that lies within each of us, I think. I think that the sexual side of any play or movie impacts everyone differently at different times in their lives. Right now I could care less the amount of sex in movies but when I become a father that will change I am sure. This is what I mean by changing. It also depends on how and where you grew up. I was brought up to question everything; I was not brought up sheltered that is why I can handle just about anything.

In closing I am have one more observation. Almost everything that we have dealt with as of yet has been sexual. Shakespeare In Love, One Flea Spare, and Into The Woods. Even in Richard III, to a point there were sexual themes. Although this may be an obvious observation, I just thought that I would make it.
--Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home