Monday, October 03, 2005

As a Whole

Subject: A basic meditation on the play as a whole.

Having never seen any stage like the one used in the performance of One Flea Spare, and never having seen any play put on by college students, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Since it was performed in a relatively tiny room, and the audience was essentially on the stage, I was not expecting some life-changing performance, and actually expected boredom from a play set in such a time as the Plague.

However, my expectations were completely surpassed, and I was very impressed with every aspect of the play. Each actor, in their own respect, portrayed their character wonderfully. Knowing nothing about the actors themselves, but assuming they are nothing like their characters, I was impressed with how they could leave their own convictions behind and effectively “hit on” a portrayed 12 year-old girl.

Mr. Snelgrave was the most despicable character to me. Though each character had their own problems and flaws, their underlying goodness surpassed their contemptible personality traits. Although I could not get over Mr. Snelgrave’s loathsome qualities, the actor did a perfect job of making me, personally, despise him.

Though Kabe definitely is an antagonistic force, I could not help but sympathize with his need for material things and impulses to carry out his job to the best of his abilities. The humor of his character overlapped my distaste for his need of sexual favors from a young girl. Morse, even though she was just a child, was also a character who, at times, was quite vile. Mrs. Snelgrave was mostly a lonely old woman who needed to be loved. Bunce provided fleeting lust for her at the end of her life.
All in all, I enjoyed this play very much and wish to see more like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home