Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Bacchae

I love tragic plays, but this one was a bit confusing. I know that it is an ancient play and I expected it to be difficult, but ouch. I attempted to follow what we were suppose to care about, which is common in most tragedies, but I had a real problem doing so. I have read Akaash's meditation and I would have to agree that I can agree with his analysis. In Romeo and Juliet we feel something for the characters, but I had a real difficult time finding what was suppose to be important.

I think tragedies are interesting because of the way they make us feel. A simple production can bring tears to our eyes not because of what we feel for the characters, but because of the punch in the gut when our loved characters are ruined in some way or another. We spend most of the play wanting them (the characters) to succeed, but every time we are crushed when they fail. I wonder if we love tragedies because we love to see those around us fail. It seems like I see tragic productions on a daily basis through reality television.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home