Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Fires in the Mirror

Talk about a heavy play. I really got wrapped up in this play, and to be honest I'm not sure if it was because of the way it was written or because of the content involved. It was hard to read about the conflict between two cultures that have already been through so much themselves. Two groups, the Blacks and Jews, that have been persacuted themselves were now rioting against each other.

The almost monologues that were presented in this play really gave some insight into the characters. I don't make it a common practice to compare movies with plays, but this play really seemed like a few of Spike Lee's recent productions, 25th Hour and Inside Man. Both of these productions are set post 9-11 and really dig deep into the prejudices that have been created from 9-11, and prejudices that have been around for centuries. This play seems to accomplish the same goal of bringing these prejudices to light. In both movies and this play, we get to see into certain characters and see how they personally feel about these issues. I think this helps people to see different perspectives of a single issue.

This would be a play that I would be interested in seeing. I think the performance of this play would gain my full attention, and feelings. I felt so...depressed while reading this play. I felt a need for change at the time of this play and really feel a need for change now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home