Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Rent: I don't get it.

Subject: Rent the musical
My Rent experience began with the soundtrack and the text. That didn’t exactly overwhelm me, so I borrowed the film version from a friend. I have not had the opportunity to see it live and would really rather not given what I have endured thus far. I live for musical theatre, but for some reason Rent just did not appeal to me. With all the trilling vocals, it is a bit like listening to pop radio or watching American Idol (not nearly as pleasing to the ear as Sondheim or the like). I find this unpolished, rough singing style a bit grating. It is almost as if they are trying too hard to sound as amateur as possible.
I think what disappoints me most about Rent is how all I have heard are statements proclaiming its greatness. I was big letdown, to say the least. The ‘live for today” theme that runs throughout seems a bit trite. The characters are just so accepting of their fates. I found that disturbing rather than uplifting, especially given the history of the AIDS crisis. I wonder what Vito Russo would have said about Rent had he lived to see it.

1 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree when you said that the live for today theme was trite. After seeing the movie and hearing the words, I walked away feeling uplifted because of the message to live in the moment. Im sorry that you were disappointed but it sounds as if your disappointment ruined the entire musical for you. Instead, you could have found reasons that you enjoyed it. Either way, I respect that you were able to voice your opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home