Thursday, March 02, 2006

Trouble in Mind

Subject:
This play presented what I believe to be a very interesting social issue. The characters in this play are asked by the director to simply do their job and say their lines as they are written in the script. However, several of the characters are hesitant to use some of the words that are used in the script. Judy in particular seems uncomfortable with the use of racially charged words that have been included in the script. The play asks the question: is it possible for a person to ignore their personal beliefs and convictions and to simply “do the job” as Manners puts it? John illustrates this point well when he tells Willeta that he could not ever act in a play that he did not believe in. I come from this same line of thought. I do not think that I could ever be in a play that went against my personal moral convictions. Another question that the play raises is not quite so obvious. Judy seems uncomfortable with using certain words, but I wonder if she would be uncomfortable using them if she were not in the presence of her African-American cast mates. While I believe that this question is present in the play I think that it is more implied than explicitly put out for the audience to answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home