Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Definition of Theatre

Subject: Theatre Defined

I have always thought of theatre as a type of performance art. I think I would further define theatre as something live, or in person. Some examples of my definition would be plays, musicals, or operas. In my interviews of others, it seemed as though their definitions closely resembled mine. The question seems so obvious to most, that I would get weird looks when I first asked. Many people that I talked to had the same three examples of theatre as I did.
There were some variations on the definition. Many people left out the “live” portion of my definition. My future mother-in-law, for instance, considered movies and television forms of theatre as well. I think I would have to differ with her, as do I with many things. Though I enjoy movies more than most, I would have to consider movies and television as “theatrical” and not “theatre.” As I have already explained, I think theatre is something that is created and performed in a live setting. Though the preparation for plays, operas and musicals mirror those of movies and television, I think theatre offers something more involved. I think theatre offers a different sort of emotional connection. Though I have limited experience with my definition of theatre, each and every time I have attended a performance of theatre, it had much more feeling to it than any movie or television show I have watched. To be honest, I’m not sure if I have a clear explanation why, but the theatre brought out more emotion in me and the audience. I don’t want to imply that I don’t get emotional at a well written, acted and produced movie, but something about theatre offers a bit more. The term “theatrical” can be used in many different ways. I don’t think that term is associated with, what I think to be, theatre. When I think of the term “theatrical,” I can see my little sister as being theatrical, the live band I went a saw at a bar as being theatrical, the Friday night flick I enjoy with my fiancé, or even the magic shows on the streets of the West End in Dallas. Though all of these examples may seem “theatrical,” in my opinion they are not theatre.
We talked about theatre being “a way and a place of seeing.” I think the way is what I have already defined. The only way I can think to describe theatre as a “place of seeing,” is the actual act of seeing a performance. I don’t know if I want to just include the physical building of a theater, but the whole ordeal of going to the theatre. Going to the movies on a Friday night is much different than going to watch a performance at a theater. There is something special about having tickets to go attend a theatre. When attending, you dress a certain way, act in a certain manner, and appreciate certain aspects of the performance that is far greater than just taking your significant to a movie. The whole process of going to the theatre is much more emotional and involved than something that is merely theatrical.
Again, I do not have a great history of attending the theatre. I think in the history of my life I have attended three to four plays, a couple of musicals and zero operas. It is something that I have enjoyed and something that I am interested in, but rarely attend for some reason. The most recent form of theatre that I have attended would be the musical, Wicked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home