Tuesday, November 01, 2005

where are my friggin posts?

WTF!!! It must be my supreme lack of blog knowledge but I am more than certain that I have written 10 comments on people's posts, 6 posted meditations, and read many other posts. But I can only find about 70% of my work. WHAT GIVES?? Luckily I have saved a few of the posts and comments that haven't made it on but it has taken me several attempts (most unsuccessfully) to repost the work.

Dr. Everist, some foresight for next year: Remove the majority of the *technical* aspect of the course which requires students to utilize resources that aren't always available to them. As much as I wish the internet were a simpler source for providing schoolwork, let's just revert to the basics. Make a paper due on the day you want it due and I will never have any frustrations other than my own, but when factors out of our control come into play then it makes things friggin impossible to deal with. I am having similar dilemma with 1 other Economics course where the teacher wants everything turned in on the internet and, just my luck, it's hurting me there too.

Getting to my point: I spend more time thinking about and fiddlefarting around doing theater than I do all of my other classes combined and that includes organic chemistry, advanced accounting and upper level economics. Nearly all of us have slacked on the requirements for the course but this is supposed to be a Beginner Level Introduction to Theatre. Yes, we are in college but any other class with this type of writing work load would surely give credit as not only art but writing as well. Please, for future students of intro to Theatre, give them less writing, take the focus away from the internet because all that is doing is causing more trouble than it's worth, have in class quizzes, require a paper to be brought to class, but just use the internet as a secondary communication source. There, I've said my peace and hope I haven't offended. John Gardner.

1 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Kirk Andrew Everist said...

John, thanks for the input.

As far as blogger is concerned, you will recall that I stressed the importance of keeping backups for all of your work. Frankly that obtains for hard copy as well - papers can get lost or rained on or burned, just as digital information can evaporate before your very eyes. I was nervous about using blogger because I had several pages of work (reflecting days of research) disappear through no apparent fault of my own. Consequently, I not only keep backups of work that I value, I tell everyone I work with to keep backups - and backups of their backups. Using blogger provides the most dependable means of sharing all of our work with each other without having to print pages and pages every time an assignment is due.

With regard to access to these resouces - with all due respect, there are numerous computer labs available on campus with fairly reliable access to the internet. Whereas your own connection may have issues, the college network has deliberately built redundancies into the system. And - I remind you - I have been and will continue to be very understanding where failures of the system are concerned.

One final tip. Be aware that your posts may not show up immediately; you need to refresh the screen when you're viewing the blog to see new submissions. Also, be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom in the comment window. You need to enter alphabetic characters to prove to the system that you're not a spammer.

With respect to the course. I object to the term "fiddlefarting," which I'm fairly certain never appears anywhere on the syllabus.

You're welcome to your opinions, and I'm glad to receive your input. I also, respectfully, disagree - for reasons I feel I've expressed quite clearly in class. I would encourage you to submit further comments of this nature in a less public forum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home