Monday, October 31, 2005

Yerma Live

Subject:

I did not enjoy Yerma being acted out near as much as I enjoyed reading it. To me, it was just boring. I almost fell asleep several times. Maybe if I had seen the play first and then read it, I would feel differently. However, I just found the play to be boring. The monologues were long and repetitive, and I was very disappointed. I was looking forward to the play, and I guess my expectations were too high.

The entire play wasn’t completely dull, however. The last scene was the best scene in the entire play, mostly because there were more than two people on the stage at a time, and they were dancing and yelling- causing a scene. While the first parts of the play dragged along, the last scene was very jumpy and loud.

The acting in the play wasn’t bad by any means. I thought the acting was commendable and the singing as well. However, it doesn’t matter how much talent a production has if the play is just not entertaining onstage. I know everyone worked hard on this play. I’ve talked to several actors and they, themselves, retire to the fact that this play was just very boring.

1 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Blogger Kirk Andrew Everist said...

Did you find any of the text repetitive or lengthy as you read it? How might one make the action more interesting to you, and still reflect the text?

You say you value the jumpiness and volume of the last scene - are these qualities that the rest of the play lacked? Just wondering.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home